Saturday, September 29, 2007

Cyber-Wars

I just heard on the news that we are in the midst of a Cyber-War being waged mainly by hackers located in China. What does that mean? For most of us it means nothing, but pay attention this stuff is IMPORTANT. Let's set the record straight, there ARE people out there on the Internet that, a)have too much time on their hands, b)want to feel like they made an impact on the world, albeit negative and c)do not care about the pain, suffering and lost money they cause to their unsuspecting victims.

Most of you reading this have made the jump to light speed and are on a fast Internet connection, Cable, DSL or even Fiber Optic. It's not that these fast information pipes are the cause of the Cyber-War it just facilitates it. In the blink of an eye a pop-up appears and tells you with a professional looking graphic that your computer is already infected and you need to click on "THIS" button to clean them. You do it and like a fly in a spiders web you are caught. "DON'T CLICK ON ANYTHING YOU DON'T RECOGNISE AS SAFE"

Okay so you did, no worries you have an up-to-date anti-virus right? Please tell me you do.. no it's no good if you did not renew the subscription in 2002, the virus you just downloaded was designed 2 weeks ago, how can anti-virus definitions that are years old protect you from that? Like I said computers are dumb.. we have to tell them how to look after themselves.

See my page on Recommended Software and make sure you computer is protected, there is no excuse, these products are FREE for personal use. Not sure how to install them or maintain your computer to be safe from attack in the Cyber-War? Then call someone who can help you. Don't leave it to chance, there are only 2 ways to protect your computer, keep the protection up-to-date or don't turn the darn thing on..:-)

I'll write more soon and maybe we will all become a little more knowledgeable about our computers.

Till then "Control-Alt-Delete".

Steve Holder

1 comment:

Joan ODonnell said...

Hi Steve,
I'm so excited.I actually get to comment on a blog!! I feel so "hip and happening" as my son, Jeffrey would say.
I love your website. It is both interesting and easy to read. I have a couple of thoughts which I'll tell you next time I see you.
Thanks especially for telling us about the XO computer. (And, I might note, you had it before the New York Times computer column.) It is a wonderful way to share our computer wealth. I plan to send the information to my children and friends.
Best Regards,
Joan ODonnell